Broad Experience and Specialized Expertise
Successful hotel and property management requires nuanced and profound experience and expertise to reap the most value from real estate assets. Harvest’s lawyers are highly skilled at advising clients through various property management issues, from preparing and negotiating vendor agreements to handling insurance claims to working through landlord/tenant disputes. Our legal team helps our client’s property management teams make risk-adjusted decisions to maximize asset value.
Hotels, resorts and other hospitality projects are unique real estate assets in that they derive much of their value from their day-to-day business operations. Those operations create complicated legal issues, ranging from real estate matters to liquor license concerns to employment issues. That being the case, most real estate lawyers are ill-equipped to handle hospitality transactions, but Harvest represents some of the country’s leading hoteliers in the development, acquisition, financing, operation and disposition of hospitality assets. We benefit from excellent working relationships with the leading franchisors and possess a unique expertise in complicated franchising and management issues.
- Represented an owner in the acquisition, sale, and financing of several hospitality projects in California, including the Cambria Hotel & Suites in Anaheim and the Vespera on Ocean in Pismo Beach.
- Represented an owner in management agreement negotiations with Hilton for the anticipated Waldorf Astoria Lake Tahoe.
- Represented an owner in its acquisition, financing, management, and franchise agreements for numerous hospitality projects throughout the United States, including the Bernardus Lodge & Spa.
- Represented a hotel manager in numerous luxury hotel management transactions throughout the United States and Mexico.
- Advised a boutique hotel developer in equity capital raising and structuring matters relating to a portfolio of award-winning boutique hotels throughout Southern California.
- Represented a lender in its mezzanine financing, preferred equity investments and construction financing of all classes of hotel projects in the United States, including the SLS Brickell Hotel & Residences.
- Represented a developer of several four- and five-star resorts in Southern California.
- Represented a developer of a multibillion, ultra-luxury private ski resort.
- Represented a receiver in the sale of a $200 million hotel portfolio located throughout California.
- Represented a developer of a Las Vegas strip resort and casino in all aspects of development, construction, leasing, and operational matters.
- Served as court-appointed receiver in the workout of hundreds of distressed hotel assets across the country.
- Negotiated franchise agreements and/or management agreements with every major flag, including Four Seasons, Montage, Pendry, Virgin, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, HardRock Hotels, Joie de Vivre, Thompson and Kimpton.
- Represented a real estate investment firm in the preparation of investment documents for a hotel development.
- Represented a hotel manager in numerous boutique hotel management and joint venture transactions throughout the United States.
- Represented a lender in its construction financing of a five-star luxury hotel in Anaheim, California.
- Represented an owner in the financing of a selection of its hotels in Southern California.
- Represented hotel owners and developers in the negotiation and preparation of hotel management agreements for all levels of hospitality products.
- Represented a hotel manager in the preparation of its hotel management agreement forms for its luxury brand of hotels.
- Represented a boutique hotel owner in the preparation and negotiation of hotel food and beverage outlet lease and management agreement.
- Represented a purchaser of a limited-service hotel portfolio with assets across the country.
- Represented a purchaser of a distressed note for a large Southern California resort.
- Assisted a wave park developer and operator in the negotiation of a technical services agreement and a management agreement for a wave park in a large, mixed-use development in New Jersey.