David epitomizes Harvest’s commonsense, street-smart approach to getting sophisticated deals done.
He is an adept and versatile lawyer who is passionate about helping clients capitalize on opportunities. David continues to be the go-to lawyer for several of Southern California’s leading real estate companies due to his ability to solve problems, maximize negotiating leverage, build momentum, grow relationships, and timely and effectively close transactions.
David’s practice focuses on purchase and sale, debt and equity financing, development, construction, and leasing transactions. His broad-based experience spans all asset classes and property types, from retail and residential to office, industrial, and raw land. David also advises clients regarding day-to-day operational matters and property management issues.
David has been the lead attorney on major development projects with a total aggregate consideration of well over $1 billion and has also worked on real property acquisition and disposition contracts with a total aggregate consideration of more than $5 billion. In addition, he has achieved great success for both landlords and tenants with the completion of lease transactions covering millions of square feet.
David gives seminars to real estate professionals and graduate students on a variety of legal issues and has lectured on real estate law topics at USC, UCLA, and Loyola Marymount University. After beginning his legal career as a tax associate at Deloitte, David joined the real estate department of Allen Matkins and later became a partner at Elkins Kalt Weintraub Reuben Gartside LLP and CGS3 Law before co-founding Harvest LLP.
As one of the Harvest LLP’s founding partners, David has been instrumental in establishing the firm’s vision, goals, values, and culture. David and the founders passionately believe that Harvest’s greatest strength is its team of best-in-class attorneys that put our clients first. To that end, Harvest invests heavily in training, technology, and culture to best equip the Harvest team to turn challenges into opportunities.
- Represented a well-known national REIT in the development and construction of a new 16-story office building and curtainwall over the Washington State Convention Center podium in Seattle, Washington.
- Counseled REIT in the redevelopment of the Westside Pavilion Mall into a mixed-use retail and office project leased by Google.
- Assisted institutional owner in the redevelopment of a studio/office project to include a new mid-rise office tower, a new low rise production office building, a new 5-story parking structure, and an overall remodel of the entire project.
- Represented national retail tenant in a lease for a new, Class A corporate headquarters, consisting of approximately 230,000 rentable square foot to be delivered in multiple phases.
- Advised institutional owner in an 800,000+ rentable square foot build-to-suit lease for a distribution center.
- Assisted seller in connection with a $58M disposition of a ground lease interest upon which a 10-story, 100K square foot, first class office building sits.
- Counseled the seller in a 12-property portfolio of industrial assets encompassing approximately 1M rsf for roughly $170M.
- Represented the seller in a multi-jurisdictional portfolio sale of regional malls valued at over $150,000,000.
- Counseled buyer in the $99-million acquisition of the Mr. C Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles, California.
- Assisted money partner in a $60M joint venture in connection with a multi-phase mixed-use project.
- Advised national homebuilder in a joint venture for the purpose of acquiring lots to develop and construct, in phases, 497 single family detached residential homes and related on site improvements and to sell the homes to the general public.
- Represented national homebuilder in connection with a $50M+ acquisition, development, and construction loan for a multiphase development.
- Counseled institutional owner in connection with a $45M office building refinance.
- "2022 Commercial Real Estate Visionaries: Professional Service Advisors," L.A. Times B2B Publishing (2022)
- “Leaders in Law,” Firm Attorney Nominee, Los Angeles Business Journal (2019)
- "Rising Stars," Southern California Super Lawyers (2014-2016)
- “Tomorrow’s Leaders in Southern California,” Real Estate Forum (2015)
- J.D., UCLA School of Law
- B.A., California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, summa cum laude